THE MAPEI SOLUTION FOR A HIGHLY TRAFFICKED ROAD SURFACE
To resurface Via Aquileia to class P9 (heavy traffic) according to UNI 11714-1:2018 standards using the old porphyry blocks, Mapei experts proposed MAPESTONE JOINT, a solvent-free polyurethane binder specially formulated to create safe, flexible, pervious and durable architectural stone paving, which has lower installation and maintenance costs as well as many other benefits, such as its aesthetic qualities. MAPESTONE JOINT has an amber-coloured finish, which means it blends in perfectly with the colour of the porphyry blocks and the crushed porphyry used to fill the gaps, and its overall effect is particularly pleasing to the eye.
MAPESTONE JOINT complies with the requirements of the REACH (the European Union’s Regulation on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals) protocol and to the prescriptions and requirements of UNI 11714-1:2018 standards for polyurethane resins, which must guarantee product safety such as non-flammability, as well as safety while being transported, handled, stored and applied.
By complying with the prescriptions of UNI 11714-1:2018 standards, this means that MAPESTONE JOINT is suitable for class P9 paving and helps improve the overall durability of the paving. Stone paving correctly installed with MAPESTONE JOINT means that only limited maintenance will be required over the years, since it is particularly resistant to freeze-thaw cycles, de-icing salts, bad weather and the chemical action of contaminants from fuel and oil. Also, thanks to its elastic behaviour, expansion joints do not need to be included and paving is able to absorb the heavy loads and mechanical stresses caused by the passage of cars, buses and lorries without dangerous potholes forming due to settling and subsidence in the installation bed. Another advantage of using MAPESTONE JOINT is the speed at which paving can be put back into service, which can be reopened to traffic just 48 hours after installation at 20°C.
But the sustainability of this paving is not limited to the fact that it is pervious and drastically reduces overall site times, all to the benefit of residents and shops and businesses which can go back to using the paving after a very short downtime.
Via Aquileia has demonstrated that it is also possible to reduce waste of non-renewable materials such as precious, natural and durable stone which, if still intact, can be successfully used again.
In fact, the overall area of the newly-paved surface is more than 6,000 m2 and only 30% of that area needed new porphyry blocks, while blocks from the old paving were used for the remaining 70%, which received a new lease of life once they had been carefully selected, cleaned and tumbled.
The only exception was the coat of arms of the city in black and white, which was made from blocks of granite – using a special transparent version of MAPESTONE JOINT – set permanently into the paving to give a welcome to all those entering the city, right in front of the Porta Aquileia gate.
Grazia Signori. Architectural stone paving product line, Mapei SpA (Italy).